Sunday, December 30, 2012

An Introduction

Hello, and thank you for stumbling onto my blog. My name is Russell, but you can call me "The Tuba Geek".

I initially started this blog as a way to post some random musings; however, I am now using this to chronicle my weight loss journey.

A little history: I've always been overweight. I remember being 5 or 6 and feeling like I was a wide as I was tall. I was teased relentlessly. In today's age, you would probably say I was bullied.

I compromised by being friendly. I learned to take the verbal jabs like an MMA fighter takes punches and kicks. I was and have been fortunate enough to make some good friends who, even today (thank you, Facebook), I keep in touch with.

In middle school, my dad made me run during the summer between my 7th and 8th grade years.

A mile.

Three times a day.

Every day.

For an entire summer.

Yeah, I lost 40 pounds. Yeah, I got the attention of several people when I went back to school that fall. (Aside: I still remember the reaction I got in the lunch line the first day of school by a girl that I had a major crush on. The teasing I was subjected to and my shyness about girls back then kept me from acting on it, though.) Unfortunately, this made me hate the idea of running for a very long time.

In high school and college, I was able to maintain my weight relatively well thanks to marching band (hence the "Tuba Geek" moniker), though I was guilty of gaining the "Freshman Fifteen (or more)" in college.

Fast forward several years, and my weight slowly but steadily increased. I did a Couch to 5K program just after my first son was born, but running again proved to be my downfall. As my wife puts it, I can walk faster than I can run. Plus, my feet are so flat that you can't slip a piece of paper between them and the floor. Pain is inevitable.

I hope you will join me on my journey. So far, it has been going well. Tomorrow, I'll explain what I have been doing to better myself, as well as what I will be doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!